donderdag 29 september 2011

Herfst? Of Laat Zomer?!













This was supposed to be a BLOG with a Fall theme! Last days of September and Summer has just arrived!.. Here to stay if you believe the weather reports this week. It just doesn’t feel right talking about Fall while soaking up the sun in my shorts and flip flops so I am going to postpone the Fall issue and do a belated Summer issue instead!









This will be a short BLOG due to the fact that there is not much to report about Sugar Mama in the summer. Once school is out congresses and large business parties cease to exist. Most Dutch people migrate to the south of Europe in search of a yearly dose of sun (Sugar Mama included) leaving the baker, restaurants, stores, etc. I supply with little business to speak of. And the ones that dare to stay in Holland have other sweet things on their mind: ice cream! I don’t blame them, I also have a weakness for ice cream in the summer (all year if I am totally honest…okay, total honesty would require me to say I have a weakness for anything sweet anytime of the year).









So Sugar Mama spent some time relaxing in Portugal with the family! It was a much- needed battery recharge. Totally rejuvenated and ready for business as usual. That is a good thing because miss Sugar Mama went and double booked herself at 2 outdoor events this weekend on top of all the weekly orders from wholesalers. What was I thinking (probably was not thinking as usual)?! No problem…Yolanda from Not Just Pink in Velp who also sells the Sugar Mama line has decided to sell for me in Dieren at the:









Landgoedmarkt Hof te Dieren zondag 2-10-2011 van 10.00 tot 17.00 uur. Voor meer informatie kijk op de website www.domeinhoftedieren.nl This is a FREE country fair set in a vineyard with choice retailers of unusual, often handmade or imported products of all types. Sugar Mama has sold her goodies here several times this summer and really enjoys the “gezelligheid” and the atmosphere. I will bake in the wee hours of the morning and drop off the pastries in Dieren on my way to event number 2 in Arnhem:









Smaakfestijn- Gelderse Opening van de Week van de Smaak zondag 2-10-2011 van 11.00 tot 17.30 uur. Voor meer informatie kijk op de website www.slowfoodrijnzoet.nl This is an all-food event for people passionate about “Puur en ambachtelijk” products. Last year was the First year that Sugar Mama participated and I am so happy they invited me back to join in on the fun! There are many workshops and demonstrations as well as lots of tasting! One of the speakers is Tom van Otterloo (also a retailer of Sugar Mama products in his bakery in Arnhem) explaining his bread baking process involving locally grown products. I will have most of the Sugar Mama assortiment for sale as well as a few new products only for sale 2-10-2011 in honor of the fair. My daughter has been baking granola, a healthy snack to take to school that is eko/bio and sweetened with honey. YUMMY without the guilt! I am testing a gluten-free brownie to offer at the show if all goes well in the testing kitchen. AND (drum roll Please) I am also going to be making the debute version of the Sugar Mama appeltaart! Quite intimidating considering how “holy” the Dutch appeltaart is! I made a promise to myself never to even attempt to compete in the field of anything “apple” here because it has all been done and there is no way I am ever going to be able to do it beter. Lucky you, I am breaking the promise to myself because I LOVE apples! And this year our old apple tree in the backyard, (which never produced an apple in the last 14 years I have lived in this house) is loaded with apples! Only problem is I cannot get to them without a construction site crane. Anyway, my version will be the eko/bio with less sugar (cannot sell it as American Apple Pie without all the sugar!) but hopefully just as much flavor.









Better get back to baking! Enjoy these glorious last days of summer! And remember to come and visit one of the two fairs this Sunday if you need something sweet for by the coffee and looking for some outdoor fun!









Until the next time! Lori Bonsma (Sugar Mama)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten